Sunday 17 March 2013

Some miles are harder than others

Yes Morrissey I'm thinking of you when I write this! It's absolutely true though and my run today was spectacular proof.

I was slightly hungover when I woke up this morning after a very pleasant evening in the pub with a couple of friends. I could have curled up in a ball on the sofa and eaten cake and drunk tea all day, but the rain eventually stopped and my head wasn't in a good place so I asked Matt if he minded driving me to Dunbar so I could run home. He didn't, so off we went.

I was thrown out the van with Nethy at Belhaven and by this time the sky was blue and there was some heat in the sun. We had to negotiate our way over the wet sand to start with which wasn't the easiest start, especially when Neth decided it was a good place to poo so I had to carry her steaming present with me for a good distance before I found a bin!

I could tell my legs were going to give me problems today, not only because of my hangover but from the 28 mile mountain bike ride I'd done on Friday. I decided that it didn't matter how fast (or slow) I went so I just relaxed into it and  enjoyed feeling the sun on my face.

The route from Belhaven to Haddington is almost entirely off road. It includes a section of the John Muir Way and then the Tyne river walkway. You would think the John Muir Way would be quite a salubrious path, given the greatness of the man it's named after but you'd be sadly mistaken. It consists mainly of paths which are generally no more than field margins and they are mostly very very muddy. It's annoying and I've mentioned it on here before so I'll not get on my soap box again!

The mud was pretty bad all along my route and trying to keep myself upright was taking it's toll. My legs were like lead and the rest of my body was following. By the time I reached East Linton I was tempted to call Matt and ask him to come and get me, but I'd set my mind on the full distance so I shuffled on.

During the last 5 miles we were snowed on, there was rain and hail stones and then it got sunny again. Nethy didn't seem to mind, she was more intent on trying to jump in the river! I have to admit I'm getting pretty damn tired of the terrible weather. What I'd give for a day on some dry rocky paths.

We eventually made it home, and despite how hard the 12 miles had seemed I was pretty happy to have done it. Nethy and I are both exhausted tonight and I may have problems walking tomorrow, but it was worth it.











No comments:

Post a Comment