Sunday 24 March 2013

Doggy style

I was supposed to be racing at Carron Valley today with Ruby and Nethy, but unsurprisingly it was rescheduled due to the freakish weather! So this morning I ventured out in the cold to Longniddry where the CaniX Edinburgh group were having a run and a Scooterjor tester. For those of you who don't know Scooterjor is being pulled along on a big 2 wheeled scooter by dogs. It was brilliant fun!!

I had decided not to tie Nethy to the scooter as I really don't want to put too much stress on her back end (her pelvis was smashed in 7 places when she was hit by a car 2 years ago) so I got to scoot with the beautiful Malamutes - Skye and Tamaska. Those who know me know I'm rather obsessed with Mals and Huskies and I'm currently working on Matt to get a rescue dog to add to our family, so to be hurtling along the Longniddry railway path being pulled by such a gorgeous duo of dogs brought a great big smile to my face!

By the time everyone had a go I was absolutely frozen so it was great to finally start running, although after only 5 seconds Nethy had to stop and take a dump and then I had to stop to tie my lace! So it was a sprint uphill into the wind to try and catch the group. I didn't quite make it, but luckily they stopped at the turn off point to regroup before we ran our short loop around the woods. Back onto the railway path for our return journey and the lovely Alison was chatting away to me and I was really struggling to respond! So a good hard effort for me, not so much for her!

It was only 3 miles in the end but it was really fast and it reminded me why I love running with the caniX group. It's the only time I've really pushed myself and that's what I need just now. It's also really nice running with a group, although I have to admit I'd be more reluctant to do it if it wasn't for the dogs. Not that I don't like the people, they're a great bunch, but I've just never been into running with others. Having the dogs there somehow makes it more fun :)

Only 2 days at work this week and then we're off to the North for a wee Easter holiday. I'm taking my running stuff but I have a feeling I may be hampered by the weather :(









No comments:

Post a Comment