Tuesday 5 March 2013

Run for Cuba

Yesterday the thing I never thought would happen (for a long time at least) happened...our 15 year old cat 'Cuba' was put to sleep. She'd developed kidney failure and was very sick, so the vet said it was the kindest thing to do. It didn't feel kind, and it was devastating for all of us. We'll really miss her and there's definately a feeling of something being missing in our house.

I didn't go for a run yesterday, despite the fact it probably would have helped. I was really tired from my weekend Trail Cycle Leader course in Linlithgow and I needed a rest. Today however was a different story. It was a gorgeous day and as soon as I could I was in my running gear and off into the countryside.

I decided on a fairly straightforward 8 mile loop along the Longniddry railway path to Cotterburn car park and then some road running up Bangley Brae, and onto a track leading to my favourite shelter belt singetrack. It was just before 6pm when I headed out so I had my head torch on over my wooly hat. It didn't have much charge though so I saved it for the last couple of miles which are all off road on tracks which have lots of mud, roots and rocks. Luckily there was enough ambient light when I was running on the road that I didn't need the torch, although I made sure I switched it on whenever I saw a car as I was virtually invisible in my black tights and my dark teal Montane jacket.

I felt like I was running fast, and looking at my Garmin stats at the end I was (for me at least!) The main difference on tonight's run was that I didn't stop once to take any photos. There wasn't much point to be honest, as the light was pretty bad from the start. I was also listening to a Trail Runner Nation podcast which was an interview with the amazing Anna Frost. I'd learned to run without listening to anything, but sometimes I just want something to distract me.

By the time I'd run down the shelter belts in the dark I was feeling great. I practically sprinted home (again sprinting by my standards!) and I was buzzing when I got in. I feel like I'm back on track and just need to make some time to get out more. Luckily the nights are getting lighter, so I'll be able to get out after work. Only problem is my lovely new BMC mountain bike has finally arrived from Switzerland so I'll be wanting to get out on that quite a bit! Not a bad problem to have really!

I certainly feel like my run did me the world of good as far as feeling sad is concerned. I'm not sure if it was because I was out running or if it's just that exercise is generally good at chasing the blues away, but whatever it is I'm thankful to be able to tap into my endorphines so easily.

 CUBA 1998-2013
WE'LL MISS YOU xx



No comments:

Post a Comment