Friday 22 March 2013

Short sharp shock

I'm getting pretty fed up with this weather! This week I've hardly run at all.... on Tuesday I had to come home from work after only an hour because I was feeling terrible. My body was aching, my head was spinning and I just wanted to lie down - so I did! Wednesday I felt absolutely fine but I decided to rest just in case, then on Thursday I wanted to go and do the local caniX run but Matt wasn't due home until after 7 and local Granny wasn't available so I couldn't go.

So that left today and with ruby off school sick I was thinking I'd have to miss yet another day, but having watched the highlights of the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc on Eurosport I was feeling inspired so I called local Granny and this time she was available. I'd love to say I drove up to the hills and recreated my own mini UTMB, but I didn't have that kind of time and I decided a local run was better than none so Nethy and I headed to Lennoxlove and then added the Amisfield loop on at the end. 

I have to say I struggled for the whole 6 measly miles! There was a bitter South Easterly wind which was chilling me to the bone but generally my body just felt sluggish and heavy. Nethy wasn't looking too sprightly either which somehow made me feel worse. We made it round our route and now I'm home and have had several hours to recover I do feel better for it, but it wasn't my finest hour!

I've been thinking a lot about my running lately and how despite the fact that I'm out there more than I've ever been I don't feel like I've got any better at it. I know some people will say you need to add in sprint training and hills to get results, well I get my fair share of hills but sprinting isn't really my thing. I guess I need to decide why I'm actually running, and to be honest it's because mostly I really love it. Do I need to get better? I don't know! I think if I could shift a stone (or 2) I reckon I'd be a better runner and I'd be able to get more miles in with less effort. That's easier said than done though.

I'll just keep at it and hopefully as the weather gets better I'll be able to do more interesting routes, maybe even push myself harder and try to do something 'epic'. My hooves certainly fell like they need a change of scenery!

No pics from today...too cold!


No comments:

Post a Comment