Friday 8 March 2013

Navigating my way through wind and rain

Today I wanted to combine a nice run with some navigation practise. When I was on my recent Trail Leader Course my lack of navigational skills were exposed and now I'm determined to finally get serious about learning how to read and follow a map.

I chose Aberlady and Gullane as I felt that having the sea close by would mean that even if I was struggling with the map I shouldn't actually get lost (in theory!). Initially I'd wanted to start at Aberlady reserve and run right out to the headland near Marine villa at Archerfield then back again, but I only have 3 hours while Ruby's at school so I had to modify my route to allow for navigation, photo stops and travel time.

I parked near Gullane beach car park (I say near because I can't actually get our van under the barriers!) and then ran West to Gullane Point and then doubled back and ran East out to Marine Villa. Because I was avoiding the nature reserve I'd brought Nethy with me and she was determined to go in the water, even 'though the angry waves were crashing against the rocks. The weather was awful! It was misty, windy, wet and very very cold. When I turned at Gullane Point I was running into a howling head wind and it took all my will power not to stop at the van and just settle for the 3 miles I'd done.

I knew I'd soon be out of the wind and I could start my fun navigation exercise so I ignored the van and soldiered on. I used a combination of maps to get through the last part of my run including an extract Matt and Ruby used last week for their orienteering in the same area, an Explorer O.S map and a screen print of a Google Earth aerial image. They all helped in their own way, although I'd say the O.S map was the least useful as hardly any of the tracks were shown on there. While I was running through the woods I came across the freaky tree people that I'd seen pictures of on this blog. They are really interesting, but slightly disturbing. I wouldn't like to meet them at night!

When I finally reached my turning point I had a few wobbly navigational moments and while I was looking for the path I'd marked on the map I really chilled down. After a few minutes, some debating and some self doubting I decided on a track and just ran as fast as I could to get warm again. I knew I was going in the right direction and some of the features around me made me feel quite confident that I was at least on the correct path. I finally reached Muirfield golf course and the big metal shed that I'd marked on my map, so I felt really chuffed. From there it was a very straightforward potter back to the van.

When I downloaded the data from my Garmin I was really pleased to see I had in fact chosen the right path and I'd followed it exactly as I'd marked on my map. This has given me confidence that I'm not a total moron and that I can read a map when I need to. Up yours men who say we can't do it!!

Tonight I'm feeling physically exhausted! It was only 8 miles, but it was hard miles and the weather was awful. I was hoping last week's weather was the start of a glorious Spring, but apparently Winter isn't ready to loosen it's grip. This is extra disappointing as I just picked up my new BMC mountain bike and it is far too pretty to be messed up with East Lothian farm crud :/











No comments:

Post a Comment