Saturday 26 January 2013

No fun run

I had been looking forward to doing a 15 (ish) mile run today but a combination of factors meant that my run was not as lovely as I'd hoped.

Firstly I'd ordered a new phone yesterday and it was due to be delivered today. I don't have much fancy tech, and since phone contracts are mostly now 24 months my new phone is always a big deal for me. I knew if I wasn't in to sign for it it would end up back in their depot on the West side of Edinburgh (i.e. miles away!) but I also knew it would eventually get to me on Monday and that's only a few days extra to wait.

Matt, Ruby and the dog disappeared to go sledging, and after an hour or so of pottering about I decided I'd have to be an idiot to wait in for a phone on such a beautiful day. As Matt had taken the van I was forced to do another local run, which isn't always the most inspiring, and within the first few miles I started to think I may have been better off staying in. The paths were so icy! I ended up running in a snowy field, which is no fun especially when the snow is melting and there's a thick layer of mud underneath. After Abbey Bridge things improved and I soon got into the zone. The sun was shining and I was pretty warm despite the low temperature.

East Lothian Council have decided in their wisdom to close the Tyne path as there is a tiny section where the path has slipped into the river. Not only is closing the path ridiculous given the section in question is easily negotiated without any danger whatsoever, but it's also technically unlawful to close a piece of the countryside in Scotland. Our wonderful Access laws mean us Scots are entitled to roam wherever we like (except for the land directly surrounding a private dwelling) and providing we don't cause any criminal damage. So ignoring the signs and 'warning' tape on I plodded.

The path was ridiculously muddy in places and the mud was slippier than the icy sections. It didn't take long for my legs to start feeling heavy. I had planned on running back the same way but I soon discounted that idea and decided that I'd head back to the town on road. As usual there wasn't another soul on the path but I did see several swans, goosander, buzzard and lots of deer tracks. Opposite Hailes Castle there were some enormous swan footprints in the snow. They were bigger than my hand!

I headed (carefully) over the slimy wooden footbridge that leads to the castle and took a left onto the narrow road that leads to East Linton. I have to admit I felt relieved to be off the mud and just run without worrying if I was going to land on my arse. My relief didn't last long as when I eventually reached the farm house at the top of a very steep hill leading towards Traprain Law I was back on the muddiest, churned up track ever! I ended up walking that section as I couldn't get any grip. I used the time to have some chocolate chip brioche which I'd stuffed in my pack.

I had planned on running up Traprain Law, but it was pure white and I thought it would be slippy and potentially quite dangerous so I reluctantly took the decision to run around the Law on the road. I'd only done 7 miles at this point so I knew I would be on the road for quite some time and that didn't fill me with much joy, especially as I was wearing my Inov8 terrocs. I finally got into the groove, trying to enjoy the sunshine and the spectacular views of the Lammermuirs. I was glad to be heading home and I somehow managed to tag on a few extra miles at the end of my run as I knew I'd not reach the 15 mile mark if I went straight home. By the time I was a mile from the house I was shuffling more than running! The run had really taken it's toll!

As suspected Parcelforce had tied to deliver my phone when I was out, so I'll just have to be patient and wait until Monday. To be honest I was so busy dreamin about a hot shower and some food that the lack of new phone didn't bother me too much.

In the end I only managed 13.9 miles, but with the snow, ice and mud I have to say it felt more like 20! Not the best run I've ever done, but I guess it can't always be fun! Still glad I went out though as it was such a glorious day...











Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRun

No comments:

Post a Comment