Monday 7 January 2013

Getting into the winter groove (again)

I was back at work today, which was hellish. Most people think that being an assistant chocolatier is a dream job but I can tell you it's not! Being back did focus my mind on trying to find something I enjoy (which pays better) in 2013.

It was very tempting not to bother running tonight. I got home and since Ruby had a friend over I sat at the fire with a cup of tea and my kindle (True Blood book 6 - can't put it down!!) and thought that I could easily just put pjs on and have a nap! But luckily guilt (and the fact that my belly is way too big for my liking at the moment) meant that by the time Matt got home from work I was dressed in my running gear, and ready to head out.

Nethy came with me, both of us looking ridiculous in our hi viz vests, and red bike lights. I also had my head torch on, which I wear at the back of my head while I'm running through the town so I don't look completely freakish! We did a couple of miles on road out to the housing estate on the West side of Haddington and then turned onto the pitch black Tyne River path. Even though I have a head torch it's still very spooky by the river. There are no lights at all on the path, and because it had been raining there were lots of puddles which I just didn't see in time, so I pretty much ran through them all!

I love to light up the river just in case there's an otter slinking on the banking, but so far I've never managed to catch sight of one. I did disturb some sleepy ducks, which is a shame! I turned onto the Stevenson bridge and then ran on the trail which leads toward the Burns monument and then on to Bolton. We crossed the road and ran into the grounds of Lennoxlove house. There are several residential houses in the grounds, so there were some signs of life, but passing the empty farm buildings did freak me out (again!). We missed our turning and ended up almost running right into the huge stately home, which was a bit of a shock, but we doubled back on ourselves and continued running out onto the main road.

The rest of the run was pretty uneventful, as we were back in streetlights. It was very mild tonight and I was sweating buckets when I got back. Nethy seemed very tired and I'm worried she's feeling under the weather. Will let her rest for the next few days. I did some push ups, some plank and some squats then I scoffed a bowl of the tofu noodle soup I'd made before I went out. Very glad I got out now. There's still a lot of dark nights up ahead and now I'm back at work I need to get out when I can, even if it is uninspiring runs around the town. At least the darkness adds an element of adventure. You don't see the hills and I seem to run faster, so that's pretty good!

No photos for obvious reasons, but a route map to add a bit of colour. Wish the MMR people would sort the distance markers!




Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRun

No comments:

Post a Comment