Tuesday 15 January 2013

Night time CaniX

Last night Nethy and I wrapped up warm, packed our hiviz gear and lights and headed off to Dalkeith Country Park to meet the CaniX group.

I was nervous when I arrived as I knew only a few of the people I'd met on Saturday were going to be there, and quite a large group was waiting at the gates - lit up like Christmas trees!! I needn't have worried about being a newbie, everyone was very friendly and I chatted with a few people while we waited. There were a few others who'd never been out with the group before, so that was reassuring.

I asked if someone usually hangs near the back of the group as I'd never been on the trails in the Country Park and as it was pitch black I had a real fear of getting lost. I was assured that there would be someone keeping an eye on the back runners plus there were a couple of people in the group walking with their dogs and they would cut across the course to count us as we passed.

The pace was very fast as we set off! I'm used to running in the dark with my headtorch, but usually Nethy is free running and I plod along looking for hazards like pot holes (and chainsaw wealding maniacs!) This was quite different as I was attached to Neth and she was raring to go at the start, so I just took a deep breath and hoped I wouldn't fall flat on my face. Unfortunately she stopped for a poo after 100 yards and as I collected it  I could see people disappearing into the dark. No hanging about for me then, I sprinted after them worried I'd be left behind. I caught up with a small group and stayed with them quite happily, even though the pace was faster than I usually run. I don't know if it was the darkness or the fact I was running with people and didn't want to lose face, but I certainly didn't feel fazed by the pace.

I did manage to chat to a few people, but it wasn't as easy as it had been on Saturday mostly cause we were all concentrating on not falling into one of the many potholes! The run was over before I knew it which was disappointing. It was only 3.2 miles and I would have been happy to go around again (slightly slower this time!). No-one else seemed bothered though so we headed back to our cars. After a quick chat and a look at a few harnesses and lines Neth and I headed home. Despite the short distance I think it was worth the drive as it was so much fun and running fast with a group is going to get me fitter :)

It's really nice to have another focus for my running. I won't always be running with Nethy so it won't be all about CaniX from now on, but I have to say that I think this will become a big part of my life. I've already looked up some races we can do. As some of you know I'm not big on racing, I don't really see the point as I'm in it for the fun and the freedom not for the glory or the medal or the time. CaniX races seem different though. For a start they're pretty much always on trails, in parks or XC (cause you don't want your dog running on roads too much as it'll wear out their paws) and also my focus would be on Nethy and not on how quickly we'd finish. We shall see...

If anyone wants more info on this fun sport check out these links:

canisports scotland
cani-cross uk

No photos cause of the dark, but here's the route..



Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRun

No comments:

Post a Comment