Tuesday 1 January 2013

2013 here I come!

I'd already decided last night that I'd run today. It was about starting the new year on the right foot (boom boom!) and also I want to make the most of my time off work. I barely managed to get to midnight last night and I banned Matt from watching the BBC live footage of Hogmanay in Edinburgh, as I find it utterly depressing! Instead I read my book, nursing a glass of champagne, while Matt watched Jools Holland. We are sooo rock'n'roll!

I was delighted when I got out of bed to find the sun was shining, and I soon got the troops together and formulated a plan that they'd drop me off just outside Longniddry and I'd run through Aberlady, into the nature reserve and on to Gullane beach where they'd be walking the dog. I wasn't looking for a long run, just wanted to go somewhere pretty (and dry) and get some air in my lungs.

I started off on a nice bit of single track opposite Gosford Estate that runs alongside the busy coast road and which takes you right into Aberlady. It's a nice path, despite the close proximity of the cars, and even though my legs protested at first I soon got into a nice (but slow) rhythm. Running through Aberlady village isn't ideal as it's all on pavement but luckily it was really quiet, until I turned the corner heading for the nature reserve. Every man, woman, child and their dog had decided to make the most of the nice weather so I had to negotiate quite a few large groups as I approached the footbridge which crosses the estuary. There were yet more people to get past on the path, but a cough and a loud 'excuse me please' and they soon got out of my way!

 Lucky for me I was going up the high path rather than the path which leads directly onto the beach and I was soon on my own enjoying the sunshine, the lovely tailwind and the dry paths. The beach came into view and the sea looked choppy and wild. You get a great view of  the Edinburgh skyline from here and the Forth bridges. Then I turned and started on the sandy undulating path which takes you along the clifftops towards Gullane. The beach below was very busy and I started looking out for the family. Thankfully they were right along the East end of the beach which meant I got to run right along to the car park, and down onto the sand for my final half a mile.

It ended up being a 5.3 mile plod, which I'm happy with. It was pretty slow, but being fast doesn't really interest me right now, plus the time always includes me stopping to take my photos! My lovely Husband had brought my new Rab down jacket in his bag so I put it on and was soon very cosy. We took a wander over the dunes and through a bit of woodland back to the van where we had a very welcome mug of tea. We had planned on heading to Holyrood Park to see the husky racing, but apart from the fact I would want to steal the dogs we were also quite cold and hungry. So only one thing for it...off to my Mum and Dad's for a New Years day feast! :) A very good start to 2013!













Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRun

No comments:

Post a Comment