Sunday 24 February 2013

Rude not to

This weekend I'm celebrating a 'milestone' birthday. The number's not important as I'm of the opinion that age is mostly a psychological thing. Anyhow we decided a trip up north with our very good friends was in order and Glencoe was our chosen destination.

I've spent a lot of time in the Highlands since I was young and my preference has always been Speyside, but recently we ventured back to Glencoe and climbed Buachaille Etive Mor. From the moment we summited the Munro and looked out upon the vast ranges of snow capped mountains beyond I was in love. It put me in mind of the Alps where we'd spent a glorious few weeks last Summer but this was virtually on our doorstep. When it was time to choose my birthday destination I knew Glencoe was the place.

This blog is about running, but it wouldn't be right not to mention our walk up the Devils Staircase where we played in the snow and slid down it on our bums in the glorious sunshine, or our scramble up the Lost Valley where we saw icicles as big as the kids and pools of water so deep and clear you could get lost in them.

I was desperate to run part of the West Highland Way as soon as I knew we were going, but this visit was about being with my family and friends so I decided a short birthday run in the glen this morning before breakfast would be enough to satisfy me. It was only 5 miles in the end on an out and back route, but what a route!











No comments:

Post a Comment