Wednesday 13 February 2013

I did a race.......and I liked it!!

The other night whilst browsing through Facebook I came across the Tri-Trail page. It's basically a series of trail running races that Stuart McInnes from the Tri Centre in Edinburgh is organising. There was a race in the Pentlands in January to set things off and tonight they were putting on a night time 10k race in Dalkeith Country Park. I couldn't not enter. I love trail running, I love mud and I love running in the dark...the decision was made.

My friend picked me up and we headed to Dalkeith in the almost horizontal and torrential rain. Luckily I've been out a lot in these conditions recently and I was in Dalkeith running with the CaniX group a few weeks ago so the course wasn't entirely unknown to me (even although in the dark it all looks the same!). There were over 150 entries but I'm not sure everyone showed up. The sign on was in the old stable area, but unfortunately the weather was so bad that most of us spent the hour before the start in our cars with the heaters on!

Eventually we had to brave the elements but Colin and I kept our coats on until the very last minute and then Stuart let us put them in his van which was great, especially at the finish when I would have chilled to the bone if it hadn't been handy. There was a good atmosphere at the start, although I do feel sorry for the people who are interested in getting placings as it just seems to detract from the fun in my opinion! The start was fast, and I made sure I got out of the way so I didn't get trampled but I also made sure I wasn't right at the back as I didn't want to get dropped straight away.

I was very conscious of pacing myself, and 'running my own race'. The problem I found was that I had no idea how many miles I had done at any point so I didn't know when I was nearing the end and therefore didn't know when I could step up the pace and make use of all the energy I'd been saving by pacing myself!! I believe there are devices out there that go on your wrist like a watch a can tell you that sort of thing, maybe I should investigate!

The course seemed longer than 10k and the mud was horrendous in some places. There was a point where the lead runners passed in the opposite direction and I was expecting a turn around point at any moment but we had to go around a field and it seemed to go on for ages! That was mentally challenging for me as it made me realise how far back I was. I did know there were people behind me though as I saw their headtorches on the far side of the field as I passed the turning point. The way back was much easier as it was on a track which (apart from potholes full of water) was pretty easy on the legs compared to the mudbaths.

I was in a group of 5 and although we were spread out with a few metres between us we were pretty much running at the same pace. There was someone running close behind me for the last few miles and as I saw the big house I knew I was close to the finish so I decided to speed up a bit. As the stables came into view the person behind me tried to get past so I sprinted down the hill to the finish!! Haha, I didn't realise I was so competitive!!

My time was 1:06:15 which I was pleased with. Considering the conditions that's quite fast for me and I wasn't last! I really enjoyed the race, but I'm disappointed with myself because I've actually been saying things like 'If only I'd pushed myself harder' and 'maybe I should start speed training'. I hope I don't become one of those people who enjoy racing and train for events!

Will be looking out for the next event in the series, which is either at Foxlake in Dunbar or in Penicuik Estate. It will be a daytime race so maybe not as much fun, but I may well enter anyway. Who knows, I might even train a bit harder....d'oh!!

14/2/13 Edited to add a couple of pics taken at the race courtesy of bob Marshall photography


Why on earth am I heel striking in this picture?!? Can only say it was at the very end and I was tired, but that's really not a good excuse!! Must to better.



No comments:

Post a Comment