Tuesday 30 April 2013

Swallows and stings

The wind had died down today and the sun was shining so I informed Matt early on in the day that I intended to head out on my mtb this evening when he got home. I've been keen to try out my new skills so I chose a nice (but tough) loop starting on the River Tyne path.

I'm pleased to say it's still as dry as it was when I ran on it last week, but the sunshine and light showers means the plants are growing fast and the path seemed much narrower in places tonight. The Tyne path is very bumpy which I don't really notice when I'm running but on the bike you really feel it. I remembered what my coach had said about using the attack position to stop yourself being thrown about on the bike so I was standing as much as I could but my legs were really tired and my back was sore because my stem is too long (getting new short one on Friday).

I really noticed the difference in my bike handling today, using as many of the techniques I'd been taught as I could. I felt much more in control and didn't have to stop for as many obstacles as I would have previously.

Wildlife was abundant on my ride and best of all was the sight of 3 swallows at Hailes Castle. First ones I've seen this year and they were having a great time swooping down on the river to catch flies. I stood and watched them for a few minutes before pushing on. I also saw a very cute Dipper living up to its name on the river.

I turned off the river path at Over Hailes and headed up the long hilly road to pass under the A1, then a bumpy track led me around the back of Monks Muir retirement park towards Beanston. At this point I almost literally bumped into a female Roe deer who ran across the path about 3 metres in front on my. She was so silent, and joined a friend in the field before they bounded off into the distance at top speed. Beautiful!

A bit more on road and finally I turned onto the ridge trail which leads you onto the Garelton Hills, past the ruin where my bike did some more posing. This is where I had my second  'first of the year' experience when I got off to take a picture and accidentally stood in a patch of fresh young nettles. Cue much swearing and itching and then the realisation that this was just the first of many stings I would get this year. By this time the sun was setting and East Lothian looked stunning. A long climb past the farm up to the top of the hill and then into the bumpy cow field. My thighs were filled with lactic acid and feeling very heavy. Luckily after a brief stop at the telephone masts I was ready to start my descent back into Haddington. At this point my camera went into the bag and never came back out again. You can't stop to take pictures on a great descent like this!

The shelter belts are an awesome way to end a ride. The single track winds tightly down through the trees and some kindly trail fairies have been adding berms and jumps near the top which I took great pleasure in trying out. A few times I did stop and push my bike back up so I could do bits over again!! I was glad the trail was deserted and no-one heard me whooping!!

I arrived back in Haddington with a huge smile on my face and rode back home feeling like I'd done more than 11 miles. Unfortunately my Garmin ran out at the top of the hill, I keep forgetting you need to charge it.

There will be more bike rides working their way onto my blog in the future. I may be using my hooves in a different way, but it's all part of me getting out into the great outdoors and enjoying a good workout. if you don't like it you know what to do!









No comments:

Post a Comment