Monday 22 April 2013

New route with the poop otter

We had a fantastic weekend of mountain biking at Glentress and I was feeling very tired this morning but I knew I wanted to run this evening. Usually I go with the CaniX group to Dalkeith but I didn't fancy driving there and opted instead for a local run on a route that we found when we did a family ride with the Trailblazers.

As usual Nethy accompanied me, and as usual the start of our run was hampered by poo action. This time she opted for the middle of a road (albeit a quiet one) but as much as I was very pleased she decided to do it there instead of on the pavement it was a bit embarrassing when a car appeared and I had to mouth my apologies while Nethy finished and I scooped the poop. Even more mortifying when she squatted again and a bit got stuck!! Haha TMI??

We finally got going and struggled into the wind along the Pencaitland Road. I hate the wind - it's so tiring and noisy, I had to turn my podcast up and tighten my cap! Finally we turned into the Clerkington estate. The dirt road is like a pump track and I have no idea how people drive up it to the cottages. The paths are so dry just now and it's wonderful not to be ankle deep in mud for a change. There are definate signs of Spring, but it was still depressingly cold and I was glad I'd put on my Montane jacket.

I saw my first Sand Martins in the river bank as we passed over the new footbridge, they're probably wishing they were back in Africa sunning themselves! We ran through the Lennoxlove Estate and it was nice to see the daffodils have finally appeared, even though they were a bit sparse. Nethy was looking a bit hot under the collar at this point so I promised her a swim in the river when we reached it.

As soon as I took off her harness and shouted go she was off! I've never seen her move so fast and a huge splash let me know she'd reached her target. I didn't let her stay in too long as the river was flowing pretty fast and she was struggling to stay in one place. She did look very happy though (she is part otter after all!)

The run ended at 5.22 miles. Not very far but it's early days post tonsillitis plus I had some tough Mountain bike miles in my legs so I'll settle for that.








No comments:

Post a Comment